FAQ’s About 911

1. When should 911 be called?

  • For medical emergencies – heart attacks, breathing difficulty, accidents with injuries
  • In progress calls – burglary, criminal mischief, robberies, fights
  • Fires – smoke in the area, grass fires, house fires

2. When should 911 not be called?

  • For information
  • For directory assistance
  • When your electricity is out
  • Directions
  • Reporting speeding vehicles
  • For parking violations
  • For warrants
  • As a prank
  • To locate your missing phone

3. Does dialing 911 get the officers to come quicker? No. Call response is determined by departmental standards which are largely based on the information received by the call taker in order to prioritize incidents.

4. What is an enhanced 911 system? An enhanced 911 (E911) system routes an emergency call to the public safety answering point (PSAP), and for landline calls automatically displays the caller’s phone number and address. The 911 call taker will ask the caller to verify the information, which appears on his or her computer screen.

911 calls made from a cellular phone display the phone number and the cell tower location address to the call taker – not your location.

5. Why does the caller ID say City of DeSoto? SWRCC’s office is located in DeSoto. We are proud to service the communities of Cedar Hill, DeSoto, and Duncanville.

6. When should I call the 911 system? 911 systems were implemented to help reduce the time it takes a person to reach the appropriate public safety agency in emergency situations. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police / sheriff or fire / medical services.

7. How do 911 dispatchers handle non-English speaking callers? Though many of our dispatchers speak multiple languages, dispatchers can utilize a language line service when necessary.

8. Can the deaf and hard of hearing call 911? Yes, through the use of telecommunication devices for the deaf (TTY) dispatchers can communicate with the deaf and hard of hearing. All these callers need to do is call 911 and press the space bar for assistance.

9. What if I need the police for a more routine reason like a non-injury automobile accident? You should use the non-emergency number, 972-223-6111.

10. What should I do if I am unhappy with the service I received from dialing 911? Call 972-223-6111 and ask for a supervisor. They can assist you with any problem that you are experiencing.

11. How is 911 funded? 911 everywhere is funded by service fees, the amounts of which are set by state law. The Commission on State Communications (CSEC) then distributes a percentage of the collection among all Texas 911 entities based on area population. Funds are used to support local 911 telephone equipment and key computer systems employed by public safety entities to answer calls for emergency service.